Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Barbecued Beef Brisket

I love the weather this time of year.  The crisp, cool air gives me an excuse to pull out my slow cooker to celebrate the changing seasons.  Not that the slow cooker can only be used in cooler weather, it's just the thought and taste of comfort food in the crock pot seems more appropriate during the fall and winter months. This season I started off with a brisket.  I can't say that a cut of brisket is the first cut of beef that I would choose to bring home.  It was part of "the package deal" when we purchased an entire half of cow's worth of meat and filled up our freezer for the winter.  My first thought for the brisket was my grandmother's traditional BBQ brisket that was always a family favorite for the holidays.  Alas, I do not have her recipe (yet) and since she is currently away from home, I was forced to find another recipe.

The search lead me to a recent purchase in my cooking library, America's Test Kitchen's Slow Cooker Revolution.This cookbook has already proven its worth to me as every recipe I've tried thus far has been delicious.  This is also an amazing feat for a slow cooker cookbook because let's face it, most slow cooker recipes seem to taste and look the same after a while.  While not every recipe in this book has a photo (which I often frown upon), I have let that detail go in my rating because as I already mentioned, everything thus far has turned out very well.

This recipe for Barbecued Beef Brisket also follows suit.  Admittedly, I did not follow the instructions exactly as stated.  This is mostly due to lack of preparation (i.e. laziness) and not realizing that the dry rub should have been done 8-24 hours before the cooking process was to begin.  Nevertheless, I put the rub on and then threw it in the crockpot on high for 6 hours and it still turned out delicious.  There is a delicious jus to serve with the brisket and served with a side of mashed potatoes and a vegetable of your choice, the meal is complete.  This is perfectly suited for entertaining or simply for a day when your prep and cook time is limited.  (Just be sure to remember and turn the slow cooker on before you leave the house in the morning!)



Barbecued Beef Brisket
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen's Slow Cooker Revolution

For the dry rub:
1/4 cup dark brown brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 Tbsp sweet paprika
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce (optional)
2 teaspoons black pepper

Mix together. Rub mixture over brisket, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refridgerate for 8 to 24 hours.
Unwrap brisket and place in slow cooker. (Remember, if you forget to do the rub in advance, you can still put the rub on and put it directly in the crockpot.  The flavor will still be good, but more muted.)

Remaining ingredients:
1 (3 pound) flat-cut beef brisket
1 large onion, minced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (optional)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp liquid smoke


Microwave onions, tomato paste, garlic, oil, chili powder, and remaining tablespoon chipotles in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir mix together and transfer to slow cooker.  Add the water and cover.  Cook until beef is tender, approximately 9 to 11 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high.

When finished cooking, transfer brisket to cutting board, tent loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes.  Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes and then skim fat from surface.  Whisk in ketchup, vinegar, and liquid smoke and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Slice brisket in 1/2 inch thick slices against the grain (very important).  Spoon sauce over meat to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment