Friday, June 24, 2011

Steak Continental and Oreo Truffles

I'm afraid I must interrupt my monthly feature of Easy Everyday as I feel the need to pay tribute to a friend that recently passed away.  Steve Nedzel, a friend of mine from college was lost to a tragic accident last week. At only 32 years of age, he was vibrant and enthusiastic about life.  He was the band director at a very prestigious high school, an excellent teacher, musician, mentor, and friend.  When we were in college, he and I always seemed to be cooking for the masses and we exchanged a few recipes even back then.  Today's recipe, Steak Continental, is one of them.  I think this is rather upscale cooking for a college budget, but when you love what you eat you tend to overlook the grocery bill.  This is a great summer grilling meal that I served with a salad and grilled eggplant.  Please note, this recipe has many salty components (which can be used to tenderize a less expensive piece of meat), so if you are using a quality steak or are salt sensitive, consider omitting the 2 teaspoons of salt.

We must also not overlook the dessert that I'm featuring, Oreo Truffles.  Of course when Steve recently gave me the recipe over Facebook he simply called them "Oreo Balls."  These little chocolate balls are delicious and very easy to make.  I admit, baking and dipping are not really my thing, however, these require absolutely no baking and are so easy to make I'd be lazy not to make them more often.  Actually, these are also very kid-friendly as small hands would be perfect to roll out the balls and then dip them in the chocolate.

Alas, thank you Steve for all the recipes, great times, and memories and I will surely miss your daily entertaining anecdotes on Facebook.



Steak Continental
As Steve Nedzel wrote it for me

1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon kettsup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried whole oregano
3 pounds sirloin steak

Mash garlic and salt together then add the next 5 ingredients, mixing well.

Score steak 1/4 inch deep on both sides and rub in the garlic mixture.  Place steak in a large shallow dish,
cover and refrigerate 8 hours. (I only refrigerated for 2 hours and it was still flavorful)

Grill over medium coals 15 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.



Oreo Truffles
makes approximately 24 1-inch balls


1 package of Oreos
8 oz (1 package) of cream cheese
good quality melting chocolate for dipping (I used dark chocolate)


Take 1 package of Oreos and crush them in a food processor or in a bag with a rolling pin.  Mix the cookie crumbs with 8 oz. of softened cream cheese.

Chill in the fridge or freezer for a bit, then roll them into 1-inch balls.
Dip them into the melted chocolate of your choice.

Chill and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment