Saturday, June 18, 2011

Thai Meatballs

I must admit, my food pictures have been pretty embarrassing since I started posting.  The truth of the matter is that I've been taking the pictures with my phone (the modern marvels of technology) because my camera has been missing.  I know that I was the last to use it, however, it wasn't where I left it when I went back for it.  Officially misplaced for 8 days now, I decided to think like a two-year-old and really start looking for it.  Long story short, I did find it this evening in the kids' art drawer next to the couch.  The camera was in front of the art drawer when I put it down.  I'm sure little hands were simply helping me tiddy up and neglected to mention where they put it. 

Moving on, it never fails that I plan meals that utilize the oven when the weather is hot and humid, and grilling days always seem to be cold and rainy.  Nevertheless, I stuck to the plan today and made some thai meatballs.  These little tasty treats came together in 10 minutes and baked in the oven for only 25 minutes.  Luckily, I remembered to start the rice cooker as I preheated the oven so in all, dinner was ready in 40 minutes.  This recipe can be made with either ground chicken or ground turkey.  I used turkey only because I don't generally keep ground chicken in the house and I also made my own sweet chili sauce because I only had chili paste in the fridge. (Please note that you cannot substitute one for the other.)  Honey mustard is another nice dipping option and was preferred by the kids.  These made for a tasty, light summer dinner as I served them on a small bed of jasmine rice accompanied with a glass of white wine. 



Thai Meatballs
Taken from Easy Everyday
Makes 16 - 18 small meatballs


2 oz. fresh bread crumbs
1 lb ground chicken or turkey
1 egg
2 scallions, very thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
a small handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
1 teaspoon fish sauce or soy sauce
2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce, plus extra for serving
Thai fragrant rice, to serve
large baking dish or cookie sheet, oiled


Preheat the oven to 400 °F.

Put the bread crumbs, chicken or turkey, egg, scallions, ground coriander, cilantro, fish sauce or soy sauce, and chili sauce in a bowl.

Mix well with your hands, then roll the mixture into small balls--use about 1 tablespoon of the mixture for each.

Arrange the meatballs in the prepared baking dish/cookie sheet.  Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes until golden brown and cooked all the way through.

Serve the meatballs straight from the baking dish with some sweet chili sauce for dipping and some Thai fragrant rice on the side.

2 comments:

  1. These were amazing, highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of these, I'll definitely be adding them to my (very long) list of recipes I want to make.

    ReplyDelete