Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chicken and Hummus Wraps

I know, I know... It's a new month so I should be featuring a new cookbook. However, I couldn't help myself squeezing in one more recipe from Easy Everyday because this recipe could very well be titled "Leftover Delite." I was flipping through the book one last time when I came across this recipe and realized that I had everything on the ingredient list, and they were all leftovers from a previous meal. How silly would I be not to utilize a bunch of leftover items to make something new and tasty for dinner on a hot summer day? In fact, it's almost ridiculous that I had to realize this meal by looking through a cookbook instead of just coming up with it on my own. Alas, by the end of the day my brain is spent and I don't always have enough energy to be creative myself.  In which case, thank goodness for my super secret stash of cookbooks.

Seriously, this is way too easy. If you don't have these as leftover ingredients, I'm sure you at least have them in your kitchen somewhere. If you know you are going to be in a pinch due to a crazy schedule, you can even make these ahead of time to serve later. I usually make my own hummus, however, a brand that I like was recently Buy 1 Get 1 Free, plus I had coupons so I couldn't pass up buying the store brand out of convenience. I even embellished the recipe a bit, adding some chopped tomato and feta to the wrap toppings. If you want to make your own tzatziki sauce to drizzle on top instead of the sweet chili sauce, you can find my recipe here. I served this with a side of couscous mixed with olive oil and chopped green onion.

This can also very easily be made into a vegetarian dish. Simply omit the chicken and throw in some arugula to add some peppery texture. The listed ingredients are good enough on their own, but feel free to get creative. The possibilities are endless.



Chicken and Hummus Wrap
Adapted from Easy Everyday
Serves 2

2 tablespoons hummus
4 small tortillas
1 large grilled chicken breast, cut into thin strips
1/2 small cucumber, cut into thin strips
4 medium romaine/green leafy lettuce leaves, shredded
4 teaspoons chili oil or sweet chili sauce
     (or substitute with tzatziki sauce)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Optional items that I added:
1 small tomato, chopped
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
2 tablespoons tzatziki sauce

Spread 1/2 tablespoon of hummus over each tortilla. Put the strips of chicken and cucumber on top of the hummus, then top with the shredded lettuce.
Drizzle each wrap with 1 teaspoon chili oil or sweet chili sauce and season generously. Carefully roll up the tortillas and secure with a toothpick if necessary. Chill the wraps in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat.

Serve with couscous, either room temperature or chilled if it's a hot summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment