Saturday, July 30, 2011

Greek Frittata with Spinach and Potato

I admit it. I'm a Costco shopper. I know that not everything there is a good deal and buying in bulk goes slightly against my anti-hoarding tendencies, but I really do like a lot of the items that they offer.  One item in particular (and this may sound silly) is their bag of baby spinach.  They sell a 5 lb bag of cleaned, trimmed, baby spinach leaves for $5.  That is way more than I can produce out of my garden and for $1/lb cleaned and trimmed, how can I say no?

However, I don't like to waste either. We do have a compost heap in the backyard to properly recycle food scraps, but I still don't like having to toss food out.  So once I buy this rather large bag of spinach leaves, I must dig out all my spinach recipes and put them to work. This recipe is a new one, but certainly one that I will use again.  This one was inspired from Fine Cooking in Season: Your Guide to Choosing and Preparing the Season's Best as it's one of those "suggested recipes" where they only give you the idea and not the "how-to."  It was really easy and ready to eat in less than 40 minutes with minimal hands-on time.  This made for a delicious dinner but could also be served for lunch or breakfast.



Greek Frittata with Spinach and Potato
Inspired by Fine Cooking in Season: Your Guide to Choosing and Preparing the Season's Best
Serves 4-6

8 eggs
4 cups raw baby spinach (or a 10-oz frozen package of chopped spinach, thawed and drained well)
4 scallions, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon fresh dill (or 2 tablespoons dried)
1/2 cup heavy cream (though milk would be fine also)
3 cups diced potatoes (I used a package of frozen diced as I didn't have any fresh but make sure they are thawed)
salt and pepper to taste


Heat the oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet (oven safe). Cook the potatoes until almost done. Add the scallions for just a few minutes.  During this time, mix the eggs and cream together in a separate bowl.

Add the spinach into the skillet and cover with a tight fitting lid.  Turn the heat down to medium low.  You want to steam the spinach until it wilts, but do not stir.  This should take a few minutes.  When it looks wilted, sprinkle the feta and dill above the spinach. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Add a dash of salt and pepper on the top (optional).

Turn the heat down to low and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the top is almost set.  Slide under a preheated broiler to finish cooking and brown the top. Cut into wedges and serve hot or cold.  For lunch or dinner, serve with a fresh green salad.

1 comment:

  1. Gma and I made this last week for brunch. I think we may have used too much potato though. Might add some crumbled bacon or spicy Italian sausage next time!

    ReplyDelete